Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Bruised Knee & Stomach Flu

It seems the Lord is wanting me to be still these days!!  Physically STILL!  In my flurry to get all things at home 'just right' before migrating south, I managed to kneel too long while cleaning beneath my sink.  Now some of my friends said to me, "Why would you want to do that... clean under your sink?"  I  guess I am just a neat freak but I only do a bang up job about once a year.  I really wasn't planning to stay on my knees that long... just got carried away sorting all the cleaning things, some of which I never use etc. and guess it was just too much for my knobby old knee.  I usually get something soft to kneel on if I plan to be on my knees for more than a few seconds.  So for the next week, I hobbled around barely able to walk.  I finally gave in and went to see my doctor who pronounced my knee "Contused".  It began to recover, slowly, so slowly that I thought I would miss the Fresh Grounded Faith Conference in Barre that my sweet daughter, Angel had bought us tickets for as an early birthday treat for me.  I knew I couldn't walk well enough to get from the parking lot to the auditorium etc.  My friend, Alice suggested I think about using her wheelchair.  Well, that's not being very independent!  BUT  I really wanted to go so off we went!  Three other ladies from church went with us and they were super great friends as they loaded and unloaded that chair into the trunk and pushed me all over the place!  The folks at the conference were SO helpful, and had us park in the handicapped lot, had a team of volunteers right there to help those needing it in any way and ushering us right in the side door and right to the front row!  Thanks to all of you, Celia, Judy, Crystal and Angel.

It was a wonderful time of fellowship with the auditorium filled with 1500 women.  The music was great and the speakers excellent and even our box lunches were great. Imagine putting up 1500 box lunches!

Jennifer Rothschild was the main speaker and a very powerful one.  Stormie OMartine was also a thought provoking speaker.  Jennifer, who lost her sight when she was only 15 from a deterioration of her retina, had a lot to say about being a 'gritty' girl and trusting our Lord for everything and how we can accomplish all He has for us in life by choosing to rely NOT on feelings but on TRUTH from God's word.  She has written some great books on how God can give us His Grace to allow us to do His purpose in our lives.  Self Talk, Soul Talk and Lessons Learned In The Dark are two of her books worth reading.

As we were getting ready to leave for the conference on Oct. 6th, I sat with my coffee and read from Our Daily Bread, one of my daily devotionals.  How appropriate this day's reading was to ME !
"Be still and know that I am God" Ps. 46:10.  The Hebrew word for still means to "cease striving".  It went on to say that it's the concept of putting your hands down and letting God intervene in your situation WITHOUT your interference.  Interesting word picture!  In other words, stop struggling and wait on God to do His work!  I am glad He worked it all out so I could still go with the ladies!

I had another chance to practice being still this week!  A bout with a stomach flu laid me low for 4 days!  This was not a fun 'rest' but I had time to think about what is really important and necessary and not just things I REALLY MUST do before we leave. I am now recovered and trying to "keep my hands down" and do the important things.

I managed to finish up a painting I have had waiting for a bit.  Could do that while my knee was mending.  I did a bit of work today and made some Apple Pan Dowdy and am on my way to sit on the front porch and breath in this wonderful fall air and enjoy the 'friendly' sunshine.  It is cool enough to be able to really appreciate the warm sun on my face and the cool air in my nostrils.


I call this "Morning Has Broken"
oil on canvas 24 x 24

God is so good and has given me so many blessings.  My daughter has made the move back to Vermont now instead of  next July as was the former plan.  She was offered a wonderful job here only 6 miles away and made the decision to take it even if it meant moving now.  It was so wonderful to have her in and out this week as she made all the work preparations for the job next week.  She will once again be among fantastic Vermont people who care for her and who all work so well together as they provide quality health care to their patients.  

SO  Lord willing, we will head south on the 21st.  It should be an interesting journey as we are taking our Miss Kitty with us for the first time.  She is NOT a car-lover!  But I know she will love it when we get there.  I may not write again for a week or two but I do hope you all keep checking!  I also appreciate your comments either by email or as a comment here.

WHEN WE PUT OUR PROBLEMS IN GOD'S HANDS, HE PUTS HIS PEACE IN OUR HEARTS."



3 comments:

  1. The painting is so pretty. I was glad to see it "in person" and to see YOU the other day! Happy that the Lord allowed you to be sick and down in plenty of time before you're to leave. Miss Kitty might not mind the entire trip (we'll pray) and you're right, she'll love being down there, basking in the sun - and air conditioning too. We may not see you before you leave - Happy Birthday, by the way! We'll pray for a safe and nice winter in FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful art work. I love your paintings. Sorry to hear about your knee and I hope your trip South is safe and that you have a wonderful winter in FL. I'll be thinking about you as I shovel the walkways ;)

    God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Ruth, Thanks! I am painting more than quilting these days. You all have a wonderful winter and I hope it is not a severe one. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete