Saturday, September 10, 2011

New Beginnings

Today is here. Yesterday is gone, never to come again, except for the memories we cherish of all those good yesterdays. Tomorrow you know, never comes !  By the time it arrives it is called Today!

Today is here.  A day of new beginnings for each of us, each in a different way.  Today is a wedding day in our family.  A happy occasion for sure.  Our wonderful daughter in-law, was widowed a few years ago when her beloved husband, our son, was killed in an accident.  The time of mourning is a sad time... a time without many smiles.  Today will be a lovely early fall day with lots of blue sky and sunshine.  But what will really light up our day is a bride's fabulous smile, a glow from the inside out.

We have a dilemma here!  What will this new bride be to me??  Mother in-law,  (I never liked the 'ex' thing. )  But she will be getting a new Mother in-law.  Oh well, guess we'll just adopt the both of them and call them our adopted kids !

I am honored to be asked to make their wedding cake.  Sure I make a cake now and again but a wedding cake ???   That was my first thought.  But then I thought of how sweet it was to be asked to do this favor for the bride and her groom.  My next thought was from Philippians 4:13..."I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".  I've proof that this is true.  So with this support I built a wedding cake.
Like the bride I had something Borrowed, the pans from my friend Betty, something Blue. I was blue in the face trying to get the parchment paper decoration bags folded properly so the icing would stay inside until I squeezed it out the tip... not out a seam in the side of the bag !   Something old, the floral arbor I used on top of the cake. Something new, the cake itself!   So now we just have to get the cake to the reception site all in one piece !

One of the Daily Devotionals I read each morning had these words of wisdom.  "Whether it's a vocation or avocation, any work can be performed as a prayer to God's glory, a prayer that draws us close to our Creator's heart "  And then the writer, Evelyn Bence, adds, "Lord, draw me today to some project that I can complete as a working prayer."  This I read as I was about to embark upon the creation of a wedding cake, so it became a 'working prayer' !

I'll finish this post when we return from the wedding and I'll take a picture of this 'working prayer' wedding cake.

We're back home after a lovely time at the outdoor reception.  Such a pretty day. Much joy. Much love.

Here is the cake.  If you wonder why there is a swing atop the cake... the poem explains it.

The Swing
It all began 'neath the schoolyard swing
Where she boldly etched their initials in the sand...
When they were ten... C.B. + G.G.

Not much scares a lad of ten,
'Cept maybe a pretty little girl, writing in the sand.
So he quickly scuffed it out with his hand.

Many a twist and turn life will take;
Many separate roads they traveled;
Each knew the joys and sorrows, just living life can make.

And now, mid life, they've found
Each other for the second time.
So this explains, once again,
Initials 'neath the swing, atop their wedding cake,
And she now wears his ring!

            

4 comments:

  1. Dottie, Your wedding cake came out beautiful...you did a great job creating it...The flowers look beautiful the way it's arranged around the cake. Your poem was very nice to go along with the swing cake top...WELL DONE!!! Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dottie,Something brought me to your blog tonight, as I was sitting here teary eyed missing my beautiful daughter-in-law,48 years old. She died April 20th., after a 1 year battle with Cancer. She was so brave and was still saying on the day she died, "I'm going to make it, Mom." Now a different woman will sit in their house this Christmas, a childhood friend of my son's. Talking about the loss of your son and accepting another into your family and even making their wedding cake, made me believe that Life Goes On. God Bless You and Yours.I have only one son, no grandchildren and I had my dear daughter(in law)for 18 years. Thank you for helping me "see the Light".We're in God's Hands. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, live does go on. Never the same again but God is good and promises not to give us more than we can handle. With His help, we can do all things like it says in Phil.4:13 BUT only through our Lord !
    Romans 8:28 is a verse to dwell on! "And we know that ALL THINGS work together for good to them that love God, to them that are called according to His purpose"
    I thank Him often for all the wonderful memories he allows me to keep !
    Sending you Love and Hugs Dottie

    ReplyDelete