Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Better Connection

I have been having a hassle with my cell phone service provider lately.  I just am so fascinated with all things technological!  Email, on-line purchasing, information at my finger tips without having to travel to the library, keeping in touch with friends far and wide right from a cozy perch in front of my computer, and doing it all NOW!  Not weeks from now as in the old ways of earlier days.

BUT... when technology fails... I freak out!! Liking these new toys, I thought to upgrade my simple, (I call him 'No Nonsense'), cell phone to one just a tad 'smarter'... not too smart... like the iphone of my dreams which I can't , being so frugal, bring myself to justify owning.

Well, my new cell phone (I call him 'Little Smarty'), a multi- tasker, doesn't want to work using the towers of communication that faithful, plod along No Nonsense uses.  SO it seeks out a tower that caters to the smart crowd among cell phones, one that is more advanced and uses Smarty technology.  However, there must not be such a magic tower around here close enough to accommodate the new Little Smarty. So I have called India or the Philippians or some exotic place of outsourced jobs to request the transfer of  all my minutes and service back to 'No Nonsense'.  I spent 30 minutes one day and 60 another day and last night 80 more precious minutes trying to make the poor little rejected one come back to life!!  No success YET in resuscitating him   The nice lady last night was from the Philippians and she got my service and minutes, plus ninety extra ones, 'for my inconvenience', transferred.  BUT, it seems that 'No Nonsense is miffed for being jilted for the newer flashy model and he now refuses to make or accept a call even with all his minutes and service in tact!!  I have apologized to 'No Nonsense'  for casting him aside so maybe today he'll forgive me and let me make a call!!  Each time I try to make a call the nice "Verizon lady" wants to know if I'd like to make a collect call or use my credit card !  So this morning we have to  call again and see if we can get rid of the "Verizon lady". More minutes, i.e / $$$.

Through all this frustration a couple good things have come about, one being the 300 minutes added to my hubby's phone, which is what I use to communicate with these folks in exotic places.  The other is my affirmation that I need to keep open, every minute, my connection to the one tower, my Tower of Strength, my Lord, with whom there is always an open connection line IF I would just slow down and call upon HIM! Today's little message in the Daily Guideposts that we read everyday even seemed to be written just for me today.  Without this connection I'm sure to blunder around in frustration.  How much more important my connection be kept open to Him than to worry too much about a cell phone connection!!

Well, it is now afternoon and the nice lady from afar has finally punched the right buttons and VOILA! I now can use my little 'No Nonsense' once again!!  Maybe he forgave me after all!   So I will now continue to use the phone as a phone, my camera as a camera, and my computer for all the other things the little smarty was supposed to do.

Thought you might like to see a picture or two from Sunshine Village.
I apologize for the size of the picture at the top of my blog.  I haven't figured out how to shrink it down to a more normal size!  More techie stuff to mess with!!  It is a picture I painted yesterday as we were under a tornado watch here and as the wind and rain whipped around, the weather setting a mood to match my frustration!  It is called, Blowin' In The Wind'.

All decked out for St. Patty's Day

Some of the goodies for intermission as we gather to listen to a 'Jam' session as the local musicians come to treat us all to great music.

I am now going to do some old fashioned, low tech stuff like ironing a few shirts and making some jello for supper.

The Thought For The Day:

Lift up your eyes, despairing one,
The Lord your help will be...
You have a friend in heaven who cheers,
And calms the troubled sea.           Anonymous


2 comments:

  1. Sorry your Little Smartie and the Verizon lady are giving you so much trouble. Sounds like No Nonsense is the way to go! Your jam session looks like fun! and all that food! mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops...I forgot to comment about Blowing in the Wind. That's really pretty!

    ReplyDelete