Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Summer Is Packing Her Bags....Soon To Be Gone

It is blessedly cooler today!  The Cricket chorus is really loud this morning and I haven't heard the harvest fly's buzzzzzzzzzzz lately.  The little humming birds are still here for a bit yet ... usually they leave us around the 15th of Sept. for their winter in Central or South America.  I guess summer is ready to leave us.

I awoke this morning to the crowing of our local rooster ... he must have a name but we've yet to be intorduced.  He resides at the Pink House with the hens, a couple of goats, (BarBQ and Curry) and a few sheep.  Kathleen bought what we here in the VIllage have always known as "The Pink House".  It is a well known landmark and is used by all as a point of location, by everyone except the lady in your GPS!

Mr Rooster was a bit late with his wake up call today so I was a bit late hopping out of bed.  I knew it was to be a busy day too!  Last night, my good hubby, in charge of grinding and measuring, got me ready for zucchini relish making by filling my old crock with the fruits of his labors,  zucchini, onions, and red and green peppers.  These sit and brine overnight in a bit of salt and are waiting for me to drain, rinse and cook  into a really tasty relish in the morning.  This is our 2nd. batch.  The Zucchini are really popping out now!  Today's yield was 16 jars.  I sold a few jars on Sat. and some loaves of homemade bread at our little Farmer's/Artisans market on the Green. It was a slow selling day, probably because it was Labor Day weekend with so many fun things going on for folks to do.  The local apple orchard and petting zoo was having an open house party day with free hot dogs, a clown etc.  Pumpkins were ready and waiting for kids to select their favorite for soon to be Halloween Jack-O-Lanturn carving.




I finished my relish making and got a batch of spaghetti sauce simmering, then make a kettle of Sausage- Kale Soup.  This sure seems like Monday!  Oh, well, I didn't labor yesterday so the chores are waiting for me on Tuesday.  Laundry needs folding now.  Have a lovely week and don't forget to bid Summer a fond farewell.

A couple quotes:

'There is nothing better than a friend ..... unless it is a friend with Chocolate!' Charles Dickens

As a blossom can't tell what becomes of it's fragrance, we can't tell what becomes of our influence.
                                                                                                                         Unknown




2 comments:

  1. You guys just got here!! You can't leave yet! I can't believe that GPS lady doesn't know the pink house- I thought everybody did. Every town should have one. Your relish looks delish - ha, ha!! I should introduce my hubby to that sausage kale soup...you know how he feels about kale. Does Denny eat it? I have next Thurs afternoon off, but don't know what time Syd works till - can't believe it's Tunbridge Fair already!!!
    PS enjoy the hummingbirds for 10 more days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That relish looks great. Are you going to bring some with you when you stop on your way to Florida? I want to can green beans hopefully this weekend.
    As always great story.

    ReplyDelete