Wednesday, September 28, 2011



It was a warm and cloudy day today, until late in the afternoon.  I took a break from my bookkeeping chores
and after lunch, took my book and headed for my comfy corner of the porch and the big papasan chair.  At this time of year, the sun usually pours in on this corner and is a bit too warm for me, but today with the cloud cover it was just right here.  I only read a few pages before putting my book aside to just close my eyes and let the other senses take over.  A gentle breese came up bringing with it the wonderful scent of autumn leaves and the sound of them rustling about.  The sun peeked out and felt warm upon my face.  Most of our birds have left us but the little chickadees were busy at the bird feeder, chattering away and making off with a seed to hide in the bark of a tree for a day not as nice as today. Miss Lizzie our pretty kitty lay purring in my lap. The scuffling I heard in the leaves must be the chipmunk she was watching so intently awhile ago.  I think this is good medicine, good for lowering one's blood pressure !  A reflecting time, autumn seems to be. Soon all the colored leaves will be gone and 'Stick Season' will be here.  (This is the time before the snow )


November is my least favorite month. We are wimps and we fly away to a warmer place for the worst of winter.  I always miss walking in the falling snow and feeling those snowflakes fall on my cheeks. And all the wonders of winter. But old winter just lasts too long !

Just before supper tonight we piled the corner of the porch full with wood, all sawed to stove length.  It sometimes gets pretty cool before we go and when we get home in March it is always needed to keep us
cozy till summer comes. There is something comforting about just looking at a nice woodpile.

Tomorrow I'll make some applesauce with the apples we picked.  The cider is sweet and good that my neighbor brought to us.  She helped to press it herself at a friends house who has many old varieties of apples. It's been a full day, yet a quiet country day and now it's time for bed. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post! That woodpile looks so nice. I like the term "Stick Season", never thought of it like that.

    ReplyDelete