Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Poem for Mother's Day


For Mother's day, just a poem I wrote a few years ago.



My Mom and Dad and I


MOTHER'S DAY

It's Mother's Day again
And I need to pay tribute today
To my Mom, someway, 
My Mom who I barely remember.

Of that day in May
When she went away,
I have but little recall;
The sandy road beneath my feet,
Up the hill to the church is vivid still.
My Daddy lifting me up to see
Her sleeping in a fluffy white bed.
And saying good-buy
And blowing a kiss.

A new friend, Aunt Mary, 
Came for a few days to stay,
But then she too, went away.

The next few years are an empty page,
Until school days came
And aways, I hated Mother's Day.

Tho' I'd make cards for my Grammy P.
Who sometimes took care of me.
My world was my Daddy and me.
He was so kind and good
And patient beyond belief.
And I hated Mother's Day.

I went through the stages 
Of blaming her for leaving.
When everyone else I knew 
Had a mom to share in their achieving.

I needed to know...
What was she like?
And I realized it wasn't her choice
To go, and so, I'd ask others
About her... you know.

And always I was told 
Of her kindness and loving ways;
And how she surely didn't choose to go
And how she loved me so.
This was so important to know!

They said how she loved the Lord
And trusted Him
To keep His hand on me,
And so He has.
And blessed me evermore!

I know not the reason
He called her home so soon,
But His will is wiser than my own.
One day, I'll know,
When all is said and done.

How the time has flown! 
So many years gone past!
I am so glad God granted me
The privilege of being a Mom,
A Grammy an a Great Grammy yet!

I tried real hard to get it right!
I love you all so much.

Somewhere along the way,
I've  had a change of heart, 
For now I can truly say, 
I LOVE MOTHER'S DAY !
                                                                           by dottie richardson 






1 comment:

  1. That was a beautiful poem. Thanks Dottie. Thanks, too, for being such a good mother and for being there through the years for me too! You are a very special mother.

    ReplyDelete