Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Of Markets and Memories

It's been a long, hot summer and a dry one too.  It seems like an extra busy one for me.  I usually seem to find time to spend in peaceful contemplation but somehow this summer has just flown by.  I've checked off quite a few items on my 'hope to get it done' list for the summer.  Now as I sit and reflect on all this from a shady corner of my front porch, while the crickets chirp, the harvest fly buzzes, an airplane drones overhead as it pulls up a sail plane, and the phone is ...silent.. wow, that IS unusual. The day is a bit cooler, after a wonderfully cool night and morning...only 52 degrees when I poured my coffee earlier today.

The wood is all taken care of from the cutting of the lovely old maple.  There is something artistic about my hubby's woodpile, stacked just so.  We were blessed a few days ago with a much needed rainfall, a gentle one that did some good. The lawn looks greener and the garden says "thank you".

Lots of zucchini, so have to make more relish.  On Sat. I set up my table on the Green for the Community Market and sold several jars of our sweet zucchini relish and some homemade bread as well as a few note cards.  My neighbor had left some of her 'best-o pesto' for me to sell as she was away on vacation.  Friends, Cyndy and Syd brought note cards made from Cyndy's lovely drawings and some beautiful earrings that Syd fashions from feathery fishing flies that he ties. Really nice. So far our market is allowing only hand or home made items, baked goods and garden produce.  Maybe later we will be allowed to sell some flea market items like books and other items of interest.  The chicken BBQ was a big hit, selling out before the market was over.  The music was provided by a lone guitarist who was a big hit with everyone.  We're all hoping this will become a busy, fun market each summer.

The Community Market on the Green

"This and That from Greenbriar Creations"

Angel and her Dad....'finger-lickin' good!'

On Sunday we hosted a family get-together after we all gathered at the cemetary for a short service at the newly acquired family plot and memorial to pay final tribute to our sons, Chip and Matt. Dennis had carved the boys' names in the individual stones marking their spots.  It was a picture perfect day as we all gathered there, three and four generations of family and a few friends. My sweet daughter, Angel prepared a lovely reading and Paul read from the Bible.  The wind tried to interfere with my little flute but a bevy of grandsons made a circle close about me that kept the breeze from the reed long enough to play Amazing Grace. Back at home afterward, we enjoyed a good BBQ with my wonderful son in-law, Paul as the master chef at the grill.  There were salads, corn on the cob, punch and great desserts and ice cream.  So good to have our family together !

So I am making this a week of just relaxing and doing some reading and very little housework.  Probably have to pick the garden and do some more relish and some pickles but that's really just playing.  Hope to take a day trip or two before the summer is all gone.  Maybe next week?  The  'Gypsy' looks so ready to hit the road.   Hope you all will make time to enjoy these final weeks of our summer.   Blessings !

2 comments:

  1. I hate to think that the Summer is almost gone, but we had 45 degrees the other morning, smacks of mid September! I am sorry I couldn't get to the Market. It looks so pretty, there in the Park (I guess they call it "on the Green" now). My PO hours are overwhelming now and have been all Summer, unfortunately. Would love to have ONE full day off per week, but that has not happened for so long. I hope your gypsy wagon can make it to the hill one of these weekends. We will plan corn on the roasting pit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dottie. I too think it is so sad to see summer go. It's been a busy one. Grandson, Brandon was here all of July. Joanna and baby Norman are here with us as well. I have watched Norman some for her so she is able to get out and get things done and get in a hike or two before summer is over. We too are harvesting from the garden. Thankfully there has been little rain this past week as the tomatoes ripen... keeps them from splitting. Lots of green beans to put into the freezer and making pickles this weekend if nothing else comes up. Can't believe you're already planning your trip south. Yikes. Well, school starts around here next week and soon we'll be getting some frost I imagine.

    Love to all!

    ReplyDelete