Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Harvest Time

Summer is going so fast !  I am thankful for the cooler mornings and the days without so much humidity.  I got outside to do some weed pulling yesterday.  I filled my little garden cart full to overflowing with the pesky things.  It seems the trees and shrubs and just everything has grown at a much faster pace this summer. I can't keep up !  The sun was pretty hot on my back by the time I quit.  I sat for a spell on the patio cooling down and listening to the harvest fly buzzing loudly.  His sound always means to me that the shade is being drawn on summer and so very soon it will be autumn once again.  Green things are beginning to wilt and turn brown here and there.

My garden is finally beginning to produce !   It took awhile this year.  We didn't plant until after the first of June.  I just knew if we did plant in mid May like our neighbor, a big old frost would come along and kill all the tiny little shoots that pop up early.  Well, she has lots of produce from her garden and even a couple of nice big red tomatoes !   I have lots of green ones and lovely pole bean vines and leaves.  There are now a few blossoms showing up so there is hope that we will have beans one day.
(And then I will complain that they produce too fast for me!)

The zucchini is doing great, producing enough for the first batch of the famous "Best ever zucchini relish".  We picked them and set up the grinding operation last night.  Today the house was filled with that sweet tangy aroma of the cooking relish.  The cucumbers are all blossomed and every day I find one big enough to pick and eat.  Beet greens have been delicious.


The muscle behind the grinder.


The results of all that grinding!

I am happy to report that I am off the hook for Jury duty!  All who are selected to be available for a jury draw tomorrow are excused for some reason or other.  This is the third time this has happened.  The second time the case we were to be drawn for was settled out of court.  After the third time for being available and not used, we are dismissed and won't be asked to serve again for some time.  Now I can plan to be away for a few days if we get the urge to go on a little jaunt around the state.

On the 18th of Aug. I plan to take part in the Community Market here in Perkinsville on the Green.  It is something new for the Village and sounds like lots of fun.  Folks with homemade items, whether food or homegrown produce, art or crafts etc. will be setting up their wares.  Meanwhile, a Chicken BBQ will be taking place. These markets will continue each Sat. until into October.  What a great idea!

Well, time for bed.  Sounds good to me after a busy day.    A quote that really settled in my mind and it seems a good place to share it.  I don't know who said it but isn't it so true?

"Whether you give it or receive it,
Forgiveness is music to the soul"

3 comments:

  1. Well, I kind of blew it for being able to be at Community market because I took last Saturday off instead! that's a bummer, though we did have a good yard sale. I have lots of green tomatoes also. LOVE fresh tomatoes. Your zucchini squash looks so good and I can smell it too. I'm looking forward to doing some also. Did not grow zucchini, so am waiting for people at church to start saying, "Anyone want zucchini?" ha, ha! glad you don't have to do jury duty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will miss you at Market ! If you have something(s) that you want to sell, send them down next Wed. with Syd when he comes by. I am having some of neighbor, Annmarie's pesto on my table as she too can't make the Market that week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just smell your kitchen now. Mmmm
    Once again great story.
    And yes poem is so true.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete