Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Beautiful Fall-like Day

Irene is gone !!  She is replaced today with a beautiful Fall like day with a gentle breeze. She left our lovely VT in a mess.  Our road is still partially closed, can only go 1 1/2 miles north before coming to a gaping hole in the road.

The Post Office is still closed as the mail delivery truck can't get there. It is located at a four corners 2 miles north of our place. The only way in is over a covered bridge on a back road and it is not able to bear the weight of heavy trucks. BUT where there is a will there is a way!!  But not in our society today !    In 1959 our main road here was washed away by a spring freshet but our postmaster and my dad put a long, wide plank across the chasm and when the mail truck came as far as he could, the driver  unloaded the mail and like a bucket brigade they passed those mailbags along from one man to another and finally they reached the other side where the mail was taken across the street to the post office and sorted with just about no delay.  So I took some important letters to the little post office 2 miles south of here today.

We hear of so many people without electricity today too.  Without it our society grinds to a standstill.  Just about everything needs to be plugged in.  There are some still stranded at their homes with roads washed out and with no electric.  Most don't have generators to run to keep their refrigerators humming.
My hubby has one on a small trailer that we use if we are without power here for very long.  One spring, it being portable, we shared it with all 3 neighbors, each in turn, using it to keep the fridge cold and in some cases the water pump needed to run a bit too. He's off this afternoon helping friends get their van out of the mud and mire that tried to suck it under as the water receded from their yard.

We were so fortunate here on higher ground ...  remember the hymn ..."Lord, lift me up and let me stand, by faith on heaven's tableland; a higher plane than I have found; Lord, plant my feet on higher ground."
"Count Your Many Blessings" keeps popping up too !

I took a walk this morning down near the river and the little brook with Den's footbridge across it.  It is really way under water!  I will add a picture of what it looks like today compared to how it looked in my last blog.  Also got some pictures of our backyard view of the river today and put a new picture at the beginning of my blogs which shows how it normally looks.  Will add a few pictures of our area too so you can see how Irene treated us.  Thank God there weren't more people killed.  My prayer is for comfort to all those hurting in so many places here.

I should make some tomato sauce with all my ripe tomatoes.  We picked them just before the storm.  I've been eating LOTS of toasted tomato sandwiches and zucchini and tomato w/cheese casseroles lately!

     
This is what we see today.  No ripple at all ! Compare to photo at top of my blog.









This is where the little footbridge in my last blog should be. About 1/3 way from bottom of photo.






This is the morning after.  Just a ripple where the dam should be. (Top of photo)










This is why we can't get to the Post Office !







No comments:

Post a Comment