Monday, October 3, 2011

Autumn Thoughts


The Last Rose of Summer
from my rosebush



It's been awhile !  Time stands still for no man they say and I find it zooming by so fast !  Lots of things to do this time of year.
Amid all the rush and bustle of our lives we really need to take a 'time out' to just be still... sit quietly.... listen to the clock tick. Wait on the Lord, to see what he might have in store for you today. On these misty, moist mornings (and we've had LOTS of those here lately) and with cooler temperatures,  the spot of choice to take my time out becomes a favorite chair by the window where the warmth from the woodstove can be felt,  its crackle appreciated, and the song of teakettle, the only music.   Especially if  just coming indoors from a walk and the dampness is chilling to the bones.  There is something about autumn that inspires me to poetry.  Mine to write and the poems of others to read.
As I sat with my coffee cup warming my hands the other day, and waiting for a friend to arrive,  I glanced up at the cups on a wrought iron hanger in my kitchen and they became the subject of a poem.

                     CUPS

Clean and waiting...
Hung on a holder of black wrought iron
there on the old brick wall
next to the woodstove;

Four cups, of porcelain made,
With apples painted on their faces;
Cheerfully waiting, each one,
to hold a draught of friendship
and caring when friends or kin come
'cross the well worn threshold
and through the old dutch door,
to visit or just to pass the time
or to laugh or even cry with me.

We too should wait, clean and quiet,
still and prayerful, every morning,
Our selves the cups,
clean and cheerful,
Ready for our God to fill,
that we might overflow today
with His love and kindness
for those He sends our way.

I hope we get to see the sun again soon !  I still have a few yard chores to do.  Be well and smile often,  for a smile is like a ray of sunshine !

1 comment:

  1. How true...about we being like the cups, ready for God to fill so that we can overflow to others. Thanks for that post and the poem. It's hard to believe that winter is just around the corner. Can't wait to see you guys Sat. and we'll have warm tea! Hope you got your yard chores done. love, Cyndy

    ReplyDelete