Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Red Scarf and a Snowy Night

Several years ago, before we spent our whole winter in FL, I used to like to take a little walk after supper on a snowy night.  Now that I am here in the sunny south for most of the coldest part of winter, I sometimes reminisce about those times, and snow, the crispy air and bundling up to go outside.  These thoughts brought to mind an unforgettable little happening back home in the hills.




I pull on my boots...the warm ones with the fuzzy insides...  don my warm red scarf and cap and set off for a walk in the snow.  It is fresh snow, with more still falling.  The soft fluffy kind, my favorite variety...not that wet, sticky stuff that breaks tree branches and snaps power wires.  It is getting deep and I seem to be the only one in all this whole white, silent world.  The old road is like a brand new thoroughfare, all smooth and even.  I left the lamppost lit and it throws long shadows along my way until I reach the bend in the road,  It's darker here until I pass my neighbor's house and her lighted windows spread some light on my path. Then the corner and on to the Village Green, lit by a nearby street lamp and at the head of the Park, the Church, with a light in each window that sparkles in the night.

It's here in the Park on a cold park bench that I dust off a place to sit.  No cars are out tonight, all is so still. Did you ever listen, to hear a snowflake fall?  The birds are all quiet, tucked away for the night in their cozy spots in the evergreens.  All is calm, all is white, except for a red scarf and cap on this snowy white night.
Soon I begin to feel a chill and think about home and the old wood stove's warmth.  As I turn to go...there come along the road...deer...three or four of them, just sauntering along, headed my way!  I hold my breath.  I'm perfectly still.  They cross the road at the end of the Park and do a playful little prance before heading on up through the pasture and into the woods.

I'm SO glad I ventured out and sat a spell.  I'm sure they didn't see me...or did they...that spot of color, the red scarf, on a night so snowy and white.

2 comments:

  1. Great story, especially the deer.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. SEE how much you miss our winters here!? What a beautiful post. I have not been able to "comment" on your posts lately, sorry about that. Now that I've upgraded, I can do so!
    I remember P'ville snowy nights. Remember going out on John's sleigh all along the snow filled main roads? And caroling! how I miss that! You took me back to the old hometown just now.

    ReplyDelete