Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Quail eggs and good music

Getting excited here !  Tomorrow we go to meet our new great granddaughter, Alexandra !  And see her big sister, Lauren who is 1 1/2 years old.  Have my suitcase packed and a bag of presents for the babies.  Hoping for a nice sunny day and it looks like it will be a cool morning and maybe a not too hot day.  Perfect 'end of June' weather.  

I am looking forward for a nice ride and a stop for lunch before we get there at a diner type place just off the highway where they serve what is their famous "Mile High Lemon Pie".  I've been hankering for a piece of that for awhile!


Speaking of food, our nice neighbors brought us a dozen quail eggs the other day.  I had never had a quail egg so was curious as to how they would taste.  They are really delicious !  Like fresh eggs from your own hens...much more tasty than the store bought ones from caged up tight birds.  The eggs are really small, a lightish color with brown spots and when I cracked the first one open, to my surprise...a
double yoke!  And so it is with each one I have opened so far.  My friend and neighbor, Alison was down with some of her homemade muffins this morning and we had them with some homemade strawberry jam and a couple quail eggs, sunny side up.   I broke two eggs into this little dessert dish.





I've been listening to a CD I got the other day at a fundraising event to benefit the Susan Koman race for the cure for cancer.  It was an afternoon of music by local talented musicians.  We brought our lawn chairs and sat for awhile listening to their singing.  One fellow, Brenden Thomas was really good.  Played his guitar and sang good soulful songs that he has written himself.  I really liked the one he called "Fiona Grace" after his little cousin.  He wrote it when she was about three he said and as she was there, and now about 6 yrs old, he asked her to come sing it with him.  Such a great little voice !  And she was so pleased to be up there singing with him.  Sorry this one wasn't on the CD but the ones that are are good too.

Guess it is time to be off to bed.  Weary after a busy day.  And Miss Lizzie is roaming around first to talk to me and then in the other room to get after Den.  She is telling us it is time to turn out the lights and tuck in the cat!    Night all.

1 comment:

  1. I hope Miss Lizzie fares well while you are away on your trip. Have a wonderful time with the great grandgirls! Safe trip!
    I have never tried quail eggs either. AND don't let me forget to share some spruce tip tea with you next time you're up!

    ReplyDelete