Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Thoughts for Sunday and Monday

Sunday was a quiet day here.  I rode over to church with my friend Angie.  The little Baptist Church (really not so little) is just up the street from the Methodist Church.  There are at least two other churches in this small community,  Each church has an overflow of cars parked around it.  It is so good to see so many people in church on the Lord's day.

At the Baptist church the music was lively and good , the pews were full and the folks we met so friendly.  The message was good and the children impressed us with their recitation of Bible verses they had learned.
 I always miss my wonderful church family in VT but it is really nice to gather anywhere and feel welcome as part of God's family.

After getting home and finishing fixing and eating our chicken dinner, I am enjoying a peaceful time, again curled into my corner of the couch on the porch, listening to the soothing sounds of our new little fountain...so like a bubbling brook.  A gift from some of our FL friends who came by with it the other night after we had supper together at the restaurant with the great ribs.  Den is getting his siesta and I have a good book I am nearly finished with, an Amish story.  Then we will go for a walk and see what is going on around here.  It is quite breezy today and the wind chimes are getting a good shaking!  It was
quite cool at 50 degrees this morning and is just pleasantly in the 70's now... no urge to go swimming today.




We have green grass on our little lawn !  Wow!  Only 5 days since we planted it and it is up ! I guess the warmth and the moisture and probably some real dirt instead of sand helped.  Will include a picture in a day or so.  Can only send one at a time lately with this S L O W internet !

Now it is Monday.  It was really rainy early today so we didn't go to the market until around 11 AM when the sun came out.  Did a quick trip around just to get the fresh veggies etc.  We are having a party at the Sunrise Pavilion, an outdoor area where we can hold gatherings.  Hamburgers and Hot dogs are provided and the ladies bring a dish to pass.  We have a lot of good cooks here so it is always a feast.
It is Hallowe'en and some dress for the occasion.

I have such good memories of times gone by of how excited our kids would be, so eager to get into the costumes we'd made and make the rounds of the village with their trick or treat bags.  It wasn't just the candy that they liked.  They knew everybody in town and were so thrilled when folks couldn't guess who they were.  Of course they loved it when they had to be told and show their happy faces under their masks.
All this takes place after supper and birthday cake and presents for our son Chip, who was born on Hallowe'en.  I always told him I went to the hospital to trick or treat and he's what I got. He always loved to celebrate his birthday !

 I am missing him so today!  It was at his birthday party three years ago that I last saw him.  He was celebrating his birthday by hosting a party with his good friends all gathered around. I treasure the memory of all the warm, loving hugs we shared that evening. We left for FL the next day and on Nov. 9th he was gone from this world and from us.  For now.  Each memory I have is a treasure now.  I thank God for each day we had with him.  He was a wonderful, good, loving son.

2 comments:

  1. Dottie and Den, I am sure that this was a wonderful but difficult time of memories for you. Thanks for sharing this story. I have enjoyed reading the blog very much. sending our love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful story so glad you shared it.
    Love to you and Dennis.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete