Thursday, November 17, 2011

Words, Words, Words

" Words are of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind"
                                                                         Rudyard Kipling

I came across this quote the other day.  I've been thinking about it for awhile.  Sometimes I am at a loss for words. Now, my good husband would look puzzled at this and immediately ask..."And just when was that...!"  He thinks I have way too many words!  Chatter, chatter, chatter!  I guess he is right, somewhat, as I do like to yak it up with my friends and sometimes thoughts and ideas just bubble up and overflow into...words!  Other times, when trying to write something, I am word deprived.  Sometimes the thoughts and ideas just dance around in my mind with other thoughts and ideas to completely different music and won't fall into place in any sensible, orderly manner.


My pen has been still for a bit. I haven't had words to write here for awhile.  Maybe I haven't sorted out the dancing ideas... or maybe its writer's block.  My winter months are spent in a different environment than my summer months in the hills of VT.  I do love to be with my Snowbird friends and enjoy doing activities with them.

We had a 'Ladies Day Out' last week.  this time it was a trip to Leesburg, the nearest big town.  You've heard of how quilters go on 'Shop Hops', well, we had a 'Thrift Shop Hop'.  Here in our area there are many nice thrift stores.  It seems that folks around here like to donate their nice things to churches and helping hands organizations that operate these shops.  Just about any item you are looking for can be found here. Some shops are like boutiques  with the merchandise arranged  in an attractive manner and some shops where things aren't displayed so nicely. Available is anything from a cast iron skillet to a wedding gown or a silk flower arrangement to a complete bedroom suite, and everything imaginable in between.

There were eleven ladies in two mini vans on this trip.  We still had room in the way-back for all our loot. All this shop hopping gives us a good appetite .  So many good places here to have our lunch.  How do we choose?  Today Ruby Tuesday's gets the bid.  A coupon for 25% off cinched the decision .  One coupon provided the discount for the whole table of eleven! This and the fact that we can all be seated together in a pretty room.  The choice of entrees here is to our liking too.  Small portions for a noontime meal is another plus here, not to mention the wonderful cheesy biscuits served while we await our meal!

Today we had some rain in the morning and the humidity is gone now, a gentle breeze is blowing and it is cooler.  One can be as busy as she wants to around here! Last year we published a cookbook.   Tomorrow we will have a meeting to plan for our annual Christmas Party for needy kids.  Each year we adopt kids at two local day care centers who we call "Our Kids".  We plan a nice party here in the Park for them with food, a gift under a pretty Christmas tree for each one, a toy, some clothing and a goodie bag to take home to share with their families.  Our very own Santa stops in and passes out the gifts and eats with us. He is already practicing his HO HO HO !   This year we hope to raise enough money to provide each family with a box containing the makings of a Christmas Dinner. Our fundraiser is a really a fun time for us.  I will be sure to include a picture or two of that event later.

I am hoping to see family sometime during Thanksgiving week.  Two of our grandchildren live near by and their older brother and his wife are expected from Calif. next week.

Happy preparation time for Thanksgiving Day to you all.  We do truly have so much to be thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment