Saturday, March 3, 2012

Wow!  Is it HOT here today!  And the winds are just whipping around out there. Dennis came in from painting the place and said it was so hot his paint was drying in the bucket!  I am sort of confined to the house as the live oak trees are pumping out their pollen full force just now.  Without the wind, I can tolerate some time outside without getting the itchiest eyes imaginable but today is a bad time for me to be outside. Tomorrow promises to be much cooler after this front passes through.

 I have found lots of little things inside to do today.  It is countdown time now.  Twenty more days and it will be migrating time again! Time to take down the winter lodge poles and pack up once again.  How much work it must have been for the Indian tribes as they went from winter quarters to their summer hunting grounds.  And I think I have it hard!   Maybe after church tomorrow I will start on inventorying the closet.  I have been trying to shop all the thrift shops this year for things I could leave here, saving the space and hassle of bringing so many clothes back and forth.

 I took inventory of our food cupboards today and pulled out a few things that should be used up. Checked the 'use by' dates on things, etc.  Then made a cake, a pumpkin poppy seed bunt cake that has just a drizzle of glaze instead of lots of frosting.  We will see how that came out tonight when cousin Natalie and hubby Jerry come over for dessert.  It is their 50th Anniv. today!  So we will have some cake and ice cream.  They head home to VT tomorrow after a six week stay at their place here in Sunshine Village. We had a great time together while they were here.

Me, Janice and Natalie, lunch at the Flea Market.  Our idea of a great time!!

I missed the Art Show today in Leesburg, an event I usually make a point to attend.  Just too windy!  We did have a nice outing on Thursday.  Went out to lunch to celebrate early, Nat and Jerry's anniversary.  Ate at the Red Lobster on the way to visit our niece, Jackie and her family about an hour away from here.  It was great seeing them and chatting with grand niece, Amanda who is the author of two published books.  She writes under the name of Hazel West.  Quite an accomplished author for one so young.  She is very interested in the history of Scotland and has done lots of research on her favorite subject.  Her books sell on Amazon.  

Amanda, aka Hazel West with Jerry, a new reader of her latest book,
'The Ballad of the Highwayman'

As a Post Script:   The cake was pretty good.  Nat and Jerry left early to get the last of their packing finished and be off early in the morning.  I guess I will crash on the couch and see what the TV has to offer.  I think we have a good movie to watch.  I will be asleep soon as I get all cozy anyway!  You sleep well and have pleasant dreams.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that picture of you girls! It reminds me of a greeting card. I have a straw hat I could bring down and wear!
    Oh, Mom keeps asking me, "who are these two cute little kids on this card? (the birthday card you sent) I say, "I think it's just a picture Dottie found somewhere and thought was sweet."
    It's hard to believe you're already talking of coming to VT. I promise, it's not hot here. Was 7 degrees this morning! but promises to warm up to 40s this week!! Mud soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just a wonderful picture of 'Friends' that I copied from somewhere. It
    reminds me that good friendships last from childhood right through old age!
    Don't lose that straw hat, bring it next year when you come!!!
    Not overly anxious to migrate north but it is nearly time. Need to get my annual
    fix of the smell of boiling sap and taste the fresh maple syrup!

    ReplyDelete